Indiana Bicycle Accident Lawyer
Representing Injured Bicyclists in Crown Point, Indiana, & Across the U.S.
People who ride bicycles for recreation or transportation benefit from the ease of movement but pay a hefty price when things go wrong. Cyclists are extremely vulnerable to contact with moving vehicles and secondary impacts from fixed objects and hard surfaces.
If you have suffered a serious injury in a bicycle accident, you may be eligible for compensation for your medical care, lost income, physical pain and emotional suffering. For more than 30 years, Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, P.C. has helped severely injured parties obtain full, fair compensation for their injuries. With more than a century of collective experience, our team can powerfully represent your case. We are prepared to help you recover for a variety of injuries, including traumatic brain injury, spinal cord injury, road rash, broken bones, and wrongful death.
Contact Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, P.C. to begin your journey to just compensation. We offer free case evaluations and take calls after hours.
Common Causes of Bicycle Accidents
Bicyclists have the right to share the road, but motorists and conditions do not always oblige.
Common causes of bicycle accidents include:
- Inattentive motorists: Many drivers do not look out for cyclists even when they're driving adjacent to a bike lane. Right-hand turns through a bike lane are especially dangerous for cyclists.
- Careless pedestrians: Pedestrians who dart out into the street may force bikes to swerve to avoid contact. This can cause a worse collision with a vehicle or fixed object.
- Road conditions: Potholes, debris and even wet leaves can create hazards for cyclists.
- Cyclist error: Bike riders are required to follow the rules of the road. Blowing through stop signs and turning without using hand signals can easily cause an accident.
- Defective equipment: When bike parts fail to function at a crucial moment or helmets do not perform to specifications, cyclists can be seriously injured.
Liability Matters in Bicycle Accident Cases in Indiana
As in car accidents, you must prove that someone beside yourself is responsible for your bicycle accident to collect any compensation for your injuries. Indiana has a contributory fault law that limits your compensation if you share some responsibility for your injuries and bars recovery altogether if you were more than 50 percent to blame.
Contact an Experienced Indiana Bicycle Accident
If you or a loved one suffered a devastating bicycle accident, Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, P.C. is fully committed to helping you maximize your recovery. Over the years, we have secured three dozen multi-million dollar verdicts and over $80 million on behalf of our clients. Our success is due to our client-oriented approach, as well as our wide breadth of knowledge in various fields such as engineering, physics, and more.
For a free case evaluation, call (219) 488-2775. Our Crown Point-based personal injury team will help you explore your legal options.