Wrongful Death Lawyers for Merrillville, Indiana
If you or your family have lost a loved one in Merrillville, Indiana, your family may be facing one of the most challenging times in your lives. The sudden and unexpected death of a loved one can be incredibly traumatic. It can leave your family without a primary breadwinner. You and your family might be struggling to pay the bills, may be facing high medical costs your loved one incurred following his or her injury, and may be struggling to pay unexpected funeral and burial expenses. The trauma of loss combined with the unexpected financial toll can be incredibly stressful for a family. However, if your family lost a loved one due to another person’s neglect or negligence, you and your family might be able to seek damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. Marshall P. Whalley & Associates is a firm with over 36 years handling wrongful death claims for Merrillville families that may be able to assist you and your family with seeking the damages you deserve. Damages can include money to help you cover medical bills from medical care your loved one received before passing away, money to cover lost wages, money to cover funeral costs and burial expenses, money for loss of love and affection, and money to cover other costs.
In order to make a wrongful death claim, your family will need to show that the other party was negligent for your loved one’s injury and will need to show that the accident resulted in financial and emotional losses. What are some cases where a family may be able to seek a wrongful death lawsuit? Cases include:
- Wrongful death due to a car, truck or semi accident.
- Wrongful death due to a DUI.
- Wrongful death due to reckless driving.
- Wrongful death due to medical malpractice.
- Wrongful death due to toxic exposure.
- Wrongful death due to workplace injury.
- Wrongful death due to violence.
- Wrongful death due to a serious accident.
- Wrongful death due to a defective product
- Wrongful death due to Asbestos exposure, asbestosis/Mesothelioma
If you have lost a loved one in a car accident, after a workplace accident, or due to medical malpractice or another injury, you and your family may have the right to seek damages under the law. The lawyers at Marshall P. Whalley & Associates may be able to help you with your case. Our lawyers can review the details surrounding your loved one’s death, review the damages your family has sustained as a result of the loss, and fight to help you get the settlement you deserve under the law.
Who Can File a Wrongful Death Claim?
Generally, a wrongful death claim will be filed by the estate of the deceased. The person who can bring forth a wrongful death claim is often a close family member of the victim. A wrongful death claim may be brought by a surviving spouse, a child, or parent. In some cases, a person who was financially reliant on the deceased or impacted financially by the death may also be able to bring a wrongful death claim.
In order to bring a wrongful death claim, you’ll need to show that another person was to blame for your loved one’s death and that your family sustained losses as a result. What are some losses that families might suffer after the accidental death of a loved one? These can include:
- Funeral and burial expenses.
- Lost wages and lost earnings.
- Medical expenses your loved one incurred before passing away due to the injury.
- Other intangible costs. In the aftermath of a loved one’s death, a loved one may not have worked, but may have provided the family with other benefits, such as caring for children or the elderly. If your family member is no longer around to care for children or if you may need to seek childcare, nursing care, place children in daycare, or place adults in nursing care. This can be costly and can result in unexpected and devastating expenses to a family.
- Loss of love and affection!
These are just some of the losses your family may be able to claim following a wrongful death. If you or your family has had to seek counseling or other treatment due to the loss of a loved one, you may also be able to seek damages to cover these costs. Have questions about your rights if your family has lost a loved one due to another person or party’s actions? Marshall P. Whalley & Associates is experienced in wrongful death law that may be able to help you. Contact our attorneys today to learn more.
Seek Justice for Your Family
While no amount of money can bring back a lost loved one, a wrongful death claim may be able to help your family make ends meet, get back on your feet, and recover following the unexpected death of a loved one due to another person’s neglect or negligence. Your family may only have a limited amount of time to bring a wrongful death claim. Marshall P. Whalley & Associates is an experienced law firm that can investigate your case, look into the potential causes of your loved one’s death, and help you with your wrongful death claim if appropriate. Have questions? Reach out to Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, a wrongful death law firm for families in Merrillville, Indiana today.