Seasoned Indiana Attorneys Litigate Traumatic Brain Injury Cases
Fighting for full compensation in Indiana, Illinois and Michigan
Victims of traumatic brain injury (TBI) face an uphill battle to restore their health and a tough legal fight to get fair compensation. The human brain is a complex organ, and much of how it functions is still shrouded in mystery. For this reason, it's often difficult to assess the extent of TBI and provide a long-term prognosis. That makes it difficult to prove in court how great a damage award would be sufficient. For more than 30 years, Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, PC has helped severely injured parties obtain fair compensation for their losses. Our settlements and jury verdicts include dozens of multimillion-dollar damage awards. If you or a loved one has been diagnosed with TBI, we have the experience and resources to fight on your side to maximize the amount you recover.
Understanding the causes and lasting effects of traumatic brain injury
Traumatic brain injury occurs when an external mechanical force impacts the tissue, causing a loss of function. This can happen in the following ways:
- Impact — An object or concussive force, such as an explosion, hits the victim's head.
- Penetration — An object, such as a bullet, penetrates the skull, directly contacting brain tissue.
- Shaking — The victim's head shakes so violently that the brain shifts within the skull, causing bruising and tearing of tissue.
Events that cause TBI include:
- Falls — A slip-and-fall accident in which the victim's head hits a hard surface can cause TBI.
- Vehicle accidents — Motorists, passengers, motorcyclists, bicyclists and pedestrians are at risk during high-impact collisions.
- Violence — Deliberate acts of violence, including blunt-force trauma, gunshots and child abuse, account for about one-tenth of brain injuries.
- Sports — Blows to the head during impact sports have gotten a great deal of attention lately. Governing bodies of sports associations are working to reduce the threat of concussion to participants.
- Explosions — The shockwave that accompanies an explosion can cause pervasive damage.
Victims of TBI suffer from a variety of symptoms, including:
If you have a loved one who sustained a personal injury and is showing symptoms of TBI, you understand the urgency of getting them the best medical care available. You must also retain the most accomplished attorney you can findto help ensure they're compensated for all they've suffered.
Choose a leading personal injury lawyer to litigate your TBI case
Marshall P. Whalley & Associates, PC has an impressive track record in high-stakes personal injury litigation. To learn more about how our firm gets consistently excellent results, talk to one of our skilled attorneys free of charge. Call our Crown Point office at 219.769.2900 or contact us online to schedule an appointment.