{{ }}
Go to main navigation
51 W 112th Ave | Crown PointIN, 46307
855.442.7211 219.769.2900


Handling Wrongful Death Claims Lawyers in Crown Point, Indiana

The loss of a loved one due to another person or party’s neglect or intentional actions can be devastating for your family. If you have recently lost a loved one due to a car crash, due to a medical mistake or malpractice, due to reckless driving or drunk driving, due to toxic exposure in the workplace, due to a workplace accident, or due to other actions that resulted in a death, you and your family might be entitled to seek damages through a wrongful death lawsuit. Children, parents, and other dependents of a person who has passed away due to neglect or negligence may be entitled to seek compensation to cover damages due to lost wages, medical expenses a loved one incurred before they passed away, and expenses for burial or funeral costs. While no amount of money can bring a loved one back or stem the grief that comes with losing a family member unexpectedly, a wrongful death lawsuit can sometimes give families the additional support and recovery they might need to go on with life and pay for basic expenses. The lawyers at Marshall P. Whalley & Associates in Crown Point, Indiana have over 36 years of experience with wrongful death claims and may be able to assist you with seeking a claim for your losses.

Who Can Make a Wrongful Death Claim in Crown Point, Indiana?

Generally, the estate of the deceased person can bring a wrongful death claim against a negligent or neglectful party. The beneficiaries of a wrongful death claim can include spouses, children, and parents of the deceased. Usually, immediate family make wrongful death claims because these individuals are more likely to suffer financial losses and consequences as a result of a loved one’s death. Generally, a spouse is the most likely candidate to make a wrongful death claim, though children or parents may also be able to make claims if they were financially impacted by the loss or if the person who passed away was a minor (whose parents would make a claim) or an adult without a spouse (in which case, children or other dependents may be able to make a claim). In some cases, other parties may also be entitled to make a wrongful death claim. For example, if you were a dependent (financially dependent on the individual who passed away), you may also have the right to make a wrongful death claim.

When making a wrongful death claim, the family must show that another party was responsible or negligent for the person’s death. This may be the result of negligent driving, medical malpractice, unsafe work conditions, or other hazards or acts of intentional, negligent or reckless conduct. If another party was responsible for the death, the family must then show its losses. Losses can include  loss of love and affection,medical bills your loved one racked up before passing away, lost wages that your family won’t be able to have because you have lost your family’s primary breadwinner, and funeral or burial expenses. There might be other intangible losses you and your family might be able to claim. For example, if a deceased loved one provided child care or caretaking for your family and now your family will need to hire caretakers, seek child care, or nursing care, your family may be able to seek recoveries for these losses. If your family needs to seek counseling or therapy because of the trauma of the loss, you and your family may also be able to seek damages for these costs. Marshall P. Whalley & Associates is experienced at winning wrongful death claims . We are located in Crown Point, Indiana and may be able to help you and your family seek the recovery you may need under the law. Our firm can review the circumstances surrounding your loved one’s death, identify negligent parties, and fight to help you get the settlement you may deserve under the law. Contact our lawyers today to learn more.

Seek Justice for Your Loved One Today 

A wrongful death lawsuit gives a voice to those who cannot speak. If your loved one passed away because of the neglectful actions of another person or party, you and your family may be able to seek damages for your losses. Who can make a wrongful death claim?

  • Spouses of a person who passed away in an accident or injury due to another person or party’s neglect or negligence
  • Children whose parents passed away in an accident or injury due to another person or party’s neglect
  • Parents whose children passed away in an accident due to another person or party’s neglect or negligence

Other groups or individuals may also sometimes be able to make a wrongful death claim if the death resulted in financial loss. Neglect or negligence can stem from car accidents that happen because a driver broke the law or where a driver was driving recklessly. It can happen when a doctor makes a medical error or when a nurse makes a mistake. It can happen at work if the workplace isn’t safe or if there are toxic chemicals present that can lead to illness. Neglect or negligence can happen to anyone, anywhere, and when individuals die as a result, it can be devastating for families, both emotionally and financially. If a loved one has passed away recently and you have questions about your rights, reach out to the attorneys at Marshall P. Whalley & Associates in Crown Point, Indiana today. You and your family only have a limited amount of time to make a claim under the law.



  • This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.